Sunday 30 June 2013

Red Tape

I had a nice conversation with Victor, the man who works with visas for the Minister of the Affairs of Foreigners. The main bit of information is that my tourist visa can be extended for either employment or investment. Actually, I want to go to school and to farm in the countryside. But I really don't want to leave Madagascar. I can get a student visa if I leave for a short time.


That depends on getting a police report from the FBI. The process takes around six weeks. I expect a response in August. My current visa expires on the 30th of July. I arrived here on the second of May with a ticket for an early August flight. Somehow I got a two month visa. I extended that visa last week. After the last day of class, July 2nd, I am going to look for a way to farm without leaving the country. My plan is to apply for a teaching job. I want to get a school me to send me to the bush as part of my training. The purpose will be to learn Malagasy. I will be able to deliver lessons more effectively with that skill. Right now,  we often use French for clarification.This sometimes creates another problem. I believe that using two languages is more efficient than using three. So, I am also interested in requesting a police report through an FBI approved channeler. If the turnaround time is within my current visa, and if I get a job, I might be able to stay.


The aim is to stay for a year as a teacher, then become a student. Right now, I am more interested in computers than teaching. I also have not found a place to do Kung Fu, so I am not tied to Antananarivo. I want to help my students. SEC is not a registered academic institution. A contract with a registered company is essential for a work visa. I am somewhat attached to my students. I am going to try to get them some English movies to watch. 


I met a teacher from a different school, CNEZA, on the bus last week. She asked if I want to teach for them. There is one British boy working for their school, so she is sure they can get me the required documents.  Going that route enables me to build a computer, learn martial arts, and remain slightly affiliated with SEC. Those are all nice activities. I came here to live in the bush. If I can have all of the above, then that option is more attractive than leaving the country at the end of July to get my student visa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment